Raise your hand if you know one!
Now Raise your hand again because you ARE one!
We are all energy and we need to thrive and feed off of the energy of others and we also give back with our own energy.
We have the Law of Polarity and for every action there is an opposite reaction.
The Law of Polarity: Every vibration has an opposite vibration. We can change one situation by connecting to the opposing pole and transforming the current energy.
Energy is the same with the people you like to be around and those few people you cannot stand to be around. Perhaps you do not dislike a person but find every time you have been around them you feel drained, depleted, exhausted and really they were not all that negative, or maybe they were, or maybe they were very chipper!
Regardless of their personality or persona every one runs at their own frequency.
Our frequencies can change and adapt but we all have one steady flowing frequency at our base levels and to some it sucks the energy out of them.
The person that is an energy vampire for you may be an energy refuel for another.
Sometimes we are attracted to the very person who drains us of our energy.
Why is that?
That is because we at times need to completely drain our power in order to restore power.
Sometimes like a battery in some cases we must use every ounce we have in us before we can go and recharge.
I differ highly in my opinion of what an energy vampire is compared to others writings on the matter. Energy vampires are not always drama queens or people who only think of themselves or who are intruders into your life. At times the very people we love and respect the most can zap us of our core strength. They are well-intentioned fun outgoing lovely people who just have no idea they run on a much different frequency than we do.
And that is what it comes down to – we all run on our own frequency or current of energy. We need to be around people who match our currents but we also need the opposing energy at times as well to maintain a healthy balance in our systems.
We can not stay away from every one who does not run on our frequency or we could not hold jobs, have families, join activities involving others, etc and so on.
I also do not agree with the idea that energy vampires have to have suffered some traumatic experience and feel the NEED to drain others of their positive energy.
We all have had some form of dramatic or traumatic experience in our lives and very few of us have lived charmed hapless lives.
Really what it comes down to is simple mechanics. We all have a flow of energy that feels comfortable for us – well we hope to anyway – there are cases where a person can be their own energy vampire but that is a whole different article. However we find our flow and we are comfortable with it and then along comes someone in our lives who runs on a different energy wave be that more calm than us or more hyper than us – energy can run high or low but both can be equally depleting!
A depressed friend can drain us just as much as the over active and busy body mother in law! It is just not our own personal flow that makes us feel warm fuzzies!
Sometimes when someone depletes us it makes us feel anxious or nervous and we need to get back to center. Depletion is not always an exhausting experience but sometimes one that gets our hearts racing and our nerves rattled so do not think all “energy vampires” cause us to fall down on the bed just wanting to sleep some of these people really charge us up to a level we are not at ease with as well!
But these relationships can work well and be healthy as long as we know how to handle them and how to recharge our own energy and recognize when we are being depleted and how to restore ourselves!
I propose the following suggestions to refuel your energy after being around someone who drains you or makes you feel anxious.
1. Take a shower. I prefer really hot ones but it does not help my dry skin one bit lol regardless a shower can cleanse the adverse energy (notice I do not say negative energy but adverse!) from your body and mind. Take time in the shower to relax and do deep cleansing breaths.
2. Go or a walk or exercise. There is nothing better to rejuvenate yourself than to do the body well. The mind body connection is strong and when you feel low the best thing to do is get your adrenaline either pumped back up or let it run its course out of your system depending on the type of depletion you are experiencing.
3. Listen to music. Music is the real chicken soup for the soul and can bring a clam to you when needed or pump your spirit back up when needed!
4. Work on a hobby! Do something that is about YOU for a while. Something you enjoy be that working on model airplanes (if people still do that), playing guitar hero, baking, bowling it really does not matter, whatever makes you feel happy go and do it.
5. Meditation – of course this is an obvious choice!
6. This one has to be done carefully because you do not want to go and zap someone just to refuel yourself but talking to people who ground and center you is key as long as you know you are not an energy vampire to them! This brings me to another topic:
How do you know who YOU are zapping?
You can always come right out and ask them!
Tell them you read this article and just wanted to know in all honesty if you make others feel this way too. Tell them they can be honest because you understand that it is not anyone’s fault when they drain people it just happens because our energies are on different wavelengths and there is no one right way to BE.
For that matter you should start a journal! You should write down how you feel after being around the people in your life.
Don’t feel guilty for making note that your own child seems to drain you after only speaking with him or her for a few minutes lol its OKAY because we are not all on the same frequency and it is just natural but in learning who makes us feel what ways we can work to strengthen our selves to accepting their energy and knowing how to work with their energy instead of against it!
Note how you feel after a day of work and note who you were around most that day.
Note how you feel when going to visit family.
When your kids come home from school.
When they bring certain friends over.
Even note how your mate makes you feel!
Then once you have a good pattern going that is distinct and recognizable you can begin to manage your own energy around theirs and every one benefits!
Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle!
Once you establish who drains you and depletes you then you can determine in what ways they do so.
Is it merely being around them or is it when you have certain discussions with them?
Is it making you anxious and nervous and high-strung or is it making you weak, tired and lethargic?
When you know HOW they make you feel and WHEN they make you feel such ways you can use items off of the list to counteract these feelings.
So to continue my list here:
7. Write down or journal your experiences. For many of us understanding helps us overcome the barriers created by these experiences. By journaling you are doing something proactive toward your own understanding and thus healing.
8. Talk to the person who is draining you – sit down with them and try to ease them toward your own frequency. See often times the person who is zapping us not only is obviously unaware but can be tuned into YOUR frequency! It is not impossible to do but takes a lot of fortitude. Naturally they have a dominant energy to your own although saying dominant implies they are a stronger person that simply is not the case they just have a frequency that is not jiving with your own but then why are they not equally affected? Perhaps they are and simply do not tune into it as much as you do or perhaps you do not see the effects on them because they do not hit them until later when no longer in your presence! Take time to explain how energy frequency works to them and perhaps the two of you can meet somewhere in the middle because energy frequency can indeed be worked with and manipulated to our needs if we take the time to work one on one with the person who we do not jive with! This is very important when you live with people who zap you or who you are zapping! Simply by discussing how your energy works on them and vice versa you can find ways in which to tone down high strung energy or to amp up energy that is too draining.
More often than not in relationships where two people dearly love one another but cant seem to find that happy middle ground, have frequent arguments over silly things, or just cant seem to find a peaceful way to make compromise we find that they have opposing energy frequencies!
9. Go for a drive. As long as you are not erratic in your energy and it is safe to go for a drive it can be very refreshing and even getting back to nature if you decide to venture off the beaten path! I love to blast my radio when I am the only one in the car, play my music I prefer which I rarely do since I let my kids take over the music usually lol and just go ANYWHERE. We have a lot of country roads where I live and I love to drive past the sunflower fields, see all the cows and horse pastures and just breathe the fresh country air! Maybe you do not have that in your area but there is something freeing about crusing down the highway too.
10. Get a reiki healing, energy cleansing, or chakra balancing. Sometimes the build up we experience of opposing energy can get a bit too much and we need to cleanse the system.
Hopefully this provides a clearer and I am sure different perspective on “energy vampires” and hopefully we can put a more positive name on those who just do not match our own energy well. I prefer to refer to them and myself as Polar Opposites.